Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gould League Pledge

The Gould League made a strong impression on me as a child. Their mission to record and preserve birdlife and the environment through education still resonates, especially now that climate change and threats to the environment are so pressing. The artwork of the current pledge is in the same style as on the membership certificate I had when I was a little bird-watcher, flicking through What Bird Is That? and getting all excited  when the pictures in the book seemed to come to life in the trees outside. At this moment there are magpies and honeyeaters and several other species nesting in trees around my flat in the heart of Balaclava. By making this pledge I reinforce the interest I have always had to protect these creatures and their environment. There are also pledges for kids, so another generation can carry on this tradition of making a difference for the environment.

No comments: